Sec. 25-94. Riding On Sidewalks; Skateboards:
(a) No person shall rollerskate or ride in or by means of a skateboard, bicycle, coaster, toy vehicle or other similar device upon any sidewalk in the central business district, provided, however, that this section shall not apply to a law enforcement officer engaged in the performance of his or her official duties.
(b) It is unlawful within the city for any person upon a skateboard, scooter, or other similar wheeled device:
(1) To go upon any street or highway in the city except while crossing a street on a crosswalk, and when so crossing such person shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to pedestrians.
(2) To go upon any property, whether publicly or privately owned, within the central business district.
(3) To go upon any city owned parking lot or grounds, other than a designated skateboard park.
(4) To go upon any other parking lot or property within the city when such property is clearly and visibly marked by a sign or signs indicating that skateboard, scooter or other similar wheeled device use is prohibited therein. Such signs shall have lettering of at least one and one-half inches (1 1/2") high and one-half inch (1/2") wide. When such signs are present upon privately owned property, the police department shall be authorized thereby to enforce the provisions of this section.
(5) To coast or otherwise move upon a skateboard, scooter or other similar wheeled device in a reckless manner on any public sidewalk within the city, or without exercising due care for the safety of others using the sidewalks, or to otherwise endanger or interfere with pedestrian traffic.
(c) Violation of any of the provisions of this section is punishable by a fine of up to one hundred dollars ($100.00) and up to forty (40) hours of community service.
(d) In addition to any other penalty imposed, any skateboard, scooter or other similar wheeled device may be seized by the police department in connection with said violation and may be released to the owner upon the payment of a twenty five dollar ($25.00) impoundment fee. (1962 Code, § 21-506; Ord. 89-4, § 1, 2-1-1989; Ord. 94-54, § 1, 12-21-1994; Ord. 01-39, § 1, 10-17-2001)